Monday 25 February 2013

abandoned

via AlleycaT

During a research in Finnish I have come across this site of photos of old abandoned buildings and other apocalyptic sights.

This particular stream of images of a 70s tavern in total disrepair tugged on the heart strings especially...I'm yet to analyse why, but those soviet flocked figurines might be a big part of it.

It's hard not to feel anything when looking at places which have been ruined, or fallen victim to the corroding teeth of time and oblivion.

They always make me wonder about what had happened, and I wish I could rescue those probably unrescuable objects of gone times and way of living... And since reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx & Crake, scenes like these always bring to memory those conjured up in my mind's eye about nature re-occupying houses, streets and whole cities in the absence of man.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you, I hate seeing places fall into disrepair. There are so many formerly pretty houses that now rot. It's just sad. I guess it's because we imagine all the people who have lived there and who have called this home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's something about objects and buildings meaning people even though they are lone objects left behind...does that make sense? i remember seeing a photoblog about old suitcases, that was on that same topic. check it out it's interesting. http://joncrispin.wordpress.com/tag/willard-suitcases/

      Delete
  2. I'd want to rescue the pieces that were left behind, too. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so curious about this site,
    thank you for sharing,
    i used to squat houses when i lived in the netherlands and for a long time lived in an abandoned house. it had been abandoned about 10 years when i moved in, it was so exciting and breathing of history that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i admire people who squat houses, i never had the courage!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...